Thursday, September 24, 2009

Something new

One thing I've never been too big on is portrait photography. This week I took some pictures of my friend Will. I found it kind of challenging trying to find his best angles and getting good lighting. We didn't get too many we were crazy about and I'm going to have a second try at it.
I did get a few ones I liked though.
original/edited
I liked this one mainly because it was a good one of his eyes. I fixed up his completion a bit and lightened around his eyes. I messed with the color a tiny bit to give it a warmer look.


I cropped this one down a bit, fixed the levels and converted it to black and white. I also used liquefy to fix his hair.

I also took some portraits of my little brother with his bike for a school project he had to do

I just decided to have fun with this one. I lightened his face, fixed the levels, messed with unsharp mask, and increased the reds in the picture



While browsing through some pictures, I came across this photographer and I really like the style of their portraits they have taken
http://benoitpaille.deviantart.com/gallery/#portrait

1 comment:

  1. Nice job trying something that you are not comforatble with. The only way that you are going to grow is to push yourself into trying new things.

    The bike photo- I really like the editing work that you did to it, the crop I am not a big fan of. Why did you crop off the front wheel? I think the image would be stronger with the inclusion of the front wheel. The background that you left in the crop is not doing a whole lot for me.

    The postraits- I like these. Try shooting with a little flash as well. Shooting with flash can help fill in and lighten up the eyes-to really make the portrait pop.
    You caould also try using a reflector to bounce in a little extra light. Try making one yourself- Google DIY Reflector- lots of tutorials out there on making your own relfector to help your images out.

    The post is nice- good and relaxed, he looks comfortable. The background is simple- not distracting at all. Nice work, keep trying, keep looking at others' work as well.

    ReplyDelete

Followers